Friday, August 13, 2010

Reflections







I sit and stare out the window,
Think about lips kissed long ago,
Close my eyes and play "let's pretend,"
As these words tumble from my pen.

I focus on a face once more,
Still as beautiful as before.
We go through life seeking comfort,
Attract, dismiss, all in Love's Court.

Memories of you find their place,
In daydreams you're adorned with lace.
But like the sifting sands of time,
I am no longer in my prime.

It is the winter of my life,
Sometimes it wounds me like a knife.
I think of places we have been,
Where we can never go again.

I breathe the air of this sweet earth,
As I have since my lonely birth.
Knowing full well with you I share,
There's nothing like it to compare.

I embrace your mem'ry so dear,
Hold high a glass of red to cheer.
Speak to me, Nanette if you dare,
I stand here with my soul laid bare.

Toward the dawning of the day,
I've talked to you in my own way.
Fate will reap its final reward,
As I fall forward on my sword.

©August 13, 2010 / Jerry Pat Bolton

No comments:

Post a Comment